DIY Desk Pals
Go nuts – and spices and beans! Have fun making these simple treasures with your children.
• 1 cup water
• 6 bags Chai tea
• 1 cup salt
• 2 cups flour
• Assorted spices and seeds: Cinnamon sticks, cloves, lentils, pumpkin seeds, peppercorns, cardamom pods etc.
1. Heat water and steep three chai tea bags for at least five minutes.
2. Mix the salt and flour in another container and add in the dry contents of three other bags of Chai tea.
3. Next, have an adult pour steeped tea into the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Add more water or flour if the dough is too dry or sticky.
5. On a floured surface, roll out the dough and cut whatever shapes you wish. To make ornaments, remember to make a hole for the string.
6. Decorate the ornaments by pressing the spices and seeds into the dough.
7. Bake in a 200˚ oven for two hours and enjoy the aroma!
Pine Cone Chandelier
Transform pine cones into a creative hanging “chandelier” that brings nature indoors!
• Pine cones
• Large & medium-size embroidery hoops
• An assortment of feathers
• Hot glue
• White thread
• White spray paint or white acrylic paint
1. Gently coat pine cones with white paint, and sprinkle with glitter while paint is wet.
2. If desired, paint the hoops white.
3. Tie the embroidery hoops together by wrapping both hoops with the thread with the desired space in between. Wrap in at least four different spots to secure tightly.
4. Wrap thread around the tip of each feather and tie a knot-be sure to leave a 12” tail to hang them with.
5. Cut different lengths of thread and tie a knot at one end. Place some hot glue on the bottom of each pine cone and place the thread inside it.
6. Tie the feathers and cones to the inner and outer hoops.
7. Hang anywhere to enjoy the beauty of the natural world!