To our dear friends, supporters, and patrons,
As the holidays and New Year come to pass, the staff and the board of the Horticultural Society of New York would like to say Thank You for a fantastic 2016! We started the year with high hopes and big goals, and because of your support, we exceeded them! Take a look at a few of our highlights from 2016:
- On track for a $2.8 million contract with the Department of Correction to double the size of our Horticultural Therapy program on Riker’s Island.
- Expanded our beautification program to include 15 public plazas in low-income neighborhoods.
- Before our lessons at PS50, 0% of 3rd grade students had used rosemary, sage, or thyme to season their food. After a dried herb demonstration and hands-on activity, 55% used those herbs to season their food at Thanksgiving.
- Over the course of a week, the GreenTeam transformed a Maspeth step-street with 800 annuals and native plants.
- Opened the Naval Cemetery Landscape, a key project collaboration with the Brooklyn Greenway Initiative and the TKF Foundation that created a public park featuring a native plant meadowland.
In 2017, The Hort is on track to expand every program, educating more students, rehabilitating more at-risk populations, and transforming more NYC neighborhoods. We hope you are as optimistic as us to ring in a new year of digging, planting, growing, educating, and creating a greener New York City.
If you want to stay up to date on all things Hort, sign up for our E-Newsletter!